Preparing for Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery is becoming more and more popular as people are discovering the subtle yet dramatic change it brings to one’s face. With age the skin around the eyes tends to lose its elasticity and leads to droopy and puffy eyelids that make you look older than your years. Eyelid surgery is a great option at remedying such a situation. While it is performed in various places across the country Honolulu, Hawaii is the top choice amongst individuals seeking to have eyelid surgery. It is not just the scenic beauty of this tropical paradise that calls out to people but the excellent surgical and medical care available here. Honolulu, Hawaii is home to many world class surgeons such as Dr. Michael Pasquale who has completed his residency in plastic surgery and has also done a 2-year training certificate from NYU Downtown, Manhattan. He is also an osteopathic physician and surgeon (D.O.).
It is natural to be nervous about an upcoming surgery and it is important to ensure that you speak to your surgeon about your concerns and expectations of the eyelid surgery. Usually, as is done at Dr. Pasquale’s clinic at Honolulu, Hawaii the patient is briefed about various aspects of the surgery including preparing for eyelid surgery. Each patient undergoes a physical examination to ascertain the type of surgery required and if any particular aspects need to be given special attention. It is vital that you make the surgeon aware of any medical condition that you may have, food and other allergies, medication that you are taking regularly, etc. Also if you drink and smoke you would be required to make a mention of the same. Usually the cosmetic or plastic surgeon will provide you written instructions about preparing for eyelid surgery. In case these instructions are given verbally ensure that you write them down so that you don’t forget anything. Yet at Dr. Pasquale’s clinic no need to worry as we will provide you with all material in a written booklet form for eyelid surgery.
- If you are taking any blood thinning medication such as Aspirin, Advil, etc your surgeon will ask you to stop a day or two before the surgery. Since these drugs thin blood they would lead to excessive bleeding and interfere in blood clotting; this in turn will influence the healing process.
- Even cold remedies with some amount of Aspirin need to be avoided and thus one has to be careful of any drugs being taken before the eyelid surgery.
- For diabetics the daily dose of medication would need to be adjusted for the day of the surgery and it is advisable to consult with your general practitioner also.
- Vitamin E supplements over 200 mg per day need to be stopped about two weeks prior to the eyelid surgery.
- Any over the counter supplements such as gingko biloba and ginseng that may prolong bleeding also need to be stopped. If you are taking herbal teas or herbs in any other form it needs to be mentioned to the surgeon.
- Dr. Pasquale will provide you with and extensive written detailed list of things to avoid at the preop visit and prepare you completely for eyelid surgery.
- Smoking and drinking should be stopped for a while before the eyelid surgery.
- Transportation after the surgery would need should be organized.
- Ice cubes, clean wash cloths, a clean bowl for cold water and Ziploc bags to be used as ice packs should be kept ready at home.
- It is a good idea to have someone stay with you for the initial days after surgery or post-surgery nursing may be organized.
- A few meals should be pre cooked, frozen and stored in the refrigerator.
- Sterile gauze pads, a bottle of antiseptic solution and any other medication suggested by the surgeon needs to be purchased and kept handy. At Dr. Pasquale’s clinic you will be provided with a complete post op care package.As with all the cosmetic surgery at Dr. Pasquale’s Honolulu Hawaii clinic the knowledgeable staff will provide you with information to prepare for eyelid surgery. All risk of the procedure for eyelid surgery will be discussed as well the pitfalls of post operative care. You can rest assured that your preoperative teaching will be complete, written out and questions answered. At Dr. Pasquale’s Hawaii clinic you will indeed be prepared for eyelid surgery. Call us to today to set up your appointment and you will see the difference of the Hawaii Plastic Surgery clinic of Dr. Pasquale.
- Authored by: Michael Pasquale