Facts You Should Know Before Committing To Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
Cosmetic surgery has come a long way from its start. Not only have the techniques and methods been refined but also the scope of change that can be brought about by cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic eyelid surgery probably creates the most noticeable difference, as it seems to take off years from the face. This surgical procedure is effective in cases where the eyelids are droopy and puffy and lead to eye bags under the eyes. The basic reason for puffy and droopy eyes is the fact that the skin has lost its elasticity and is no longer able to effectively support the fat and muscle in the region. It is important that you understand the facts and basic information about cosmetic eyelid surgery before you consider having it done.
Upper Eyelid Surgery
This procedure is meant for upper eyelids that are puffy and droopy and removes excess skin, fat and muscle in the region leading to the tightening of the eyelid skin. This procedure may be done along with a brow lift, if the case requires one. Incisions are made in the upper eyelids at the natural crease and the required skin, fat and muscle are removed and thereafter tiny and fine incisions are placed.
Lower Eyelid Surgery
In some cases where there are eye bags under the lower eyelids and the eyes look puffy only lower eyelid surgery may be needed. The incisions are made just under the eyelids and after the surgeon has completed removal of the skin, fat and muscle fine sutures are used to close the incisions. In case only fat needs to be removed from the lower eyelids, and no skin, a transconjuctival blepharoplasty can be performed. In this the incision is made inside the eyelid and thus leads to no visible scarring. Lower eyelid surgery may be done in conjunction with a mid-face lift.
Basic Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery Facts
• Cosmetic eyelid surgery is also called blepharoplasty.
• The length of the surgery will depend on whether lower or upper eyelids are being operated upon or both sets of eyelids require surgery. Usually cosmetic eyelid surgery takes about 1-3 hours and is performed under local or general anesthesia.
• After surgery the eyes will be bandaged for a day or so and would feel swollen and bruised. This discomfort may be eased with cold compressions and medication and would reduce after the sutures are removed in 2-5 days.
• The individual can go back to his or her normal routine in 10 days time but needs to refrain from doing strenuous activity or exercise until advised by the surgeon.
• Honolulu, Hawaii offers the services of talented surgeons such as Dr. Michael Pasquale, who has completed his residency in plastic surgery and also done a 2-year training certificate in cosmetic surgery from NYU Downtown, Manhattan. At his clinic at Honolulu, Hawaii clients are made aware of the various options before them and all aspects of the surgery.
Cost of Cosmetic Eyelid surgery
While the cost of cosmetic eyelid surgery varies form place to place and also depends on the surgeon it usually costs about $2,500. It is important to understand that there may be additional costs such as pre and postoperative care, medication, laboratory costs, etc.
Risk of Complications
As in all other types of surgery cosmetic eyelid surgery also carries certain risks and it is important that you be informed about these. Risk of complications include asymmetry in eyelids, loss of visions, damage to eyeball and related muscle, etc.
- Authored by: Michael Pasquale