Am I a good candidate for eyelid surgery?
Blepharoplasty or cosmetic eyelid surgery is the surgical procedure by which eyelids are reshaped by removing excess skin, fat and muscle in order to provide the eyes a younger and nicer look. It may also called as an eyelid lift or blepharoplasty. This procedure is performed by a plastic or cosmetic surgeon under local or sedation type anesthesia and can be done on lower, upper or both sets of eyelids. The surgeon decides on the procedure once he has done a complete physical examination of the area. Cosmetic eyelid surgery may be performed in conjunction with other procedures such as a brow lift, skin resurfacing, etc.
This balance, your health and your desire will determine if you are a good candidate for any eyelid surgery. Not everyone is a good choice for eyelid surgery, some factors are considered below:
- It is important that the person be in good physical and mental health. It is crucial that the candidate is psychologically balanced and does not see the procedure as a way of changing his/her personality. In fact at our clinic at Honolulu, Hawaii, clients are encouraged to speak about their expectations of the surgery so as to ensure that they have a realistic view of the outcome.
- A good candidate for eyelid surgery understands that subtle changes caused by the procedure will provide the face a more attractive and youthful look and will not alter the facial features dramatically unless that is what is desired where more complex procedures can be done. Dr. Pasquale at his Honolulu Plastic Surgery clinic believes strongly that good plastic surgery does not look “done” or have a unnatural appearance.
- The procedure can correct puffy and droopy eyelids but is not meant for elimination of fine line wrinkles or dark circles.
- The procedure is open to members of both sexes and people of all cultures. Asian patients will typically require a different set of procedures than Caucasians or black individuals. Dr. Pasquale has trained and has experience in the multicultural environment of Hawaii.
- It is crucial that you don’t have certain medical conditions that can affect the surgery. These include thyroid problems such as Grave’s disease, dry eyes, glaucoma, etc. Also it is vital that you don’t have a heart condition, high blood pressure, diabetes or other circulatory problems. If you do you must notify Dr. Pasquale and his cosmetic eyelid surgery team.
- For patients who are suffering from flu the procedure should be postponed until the infection is taken care of. Coughing or sneezing can cause severe bruising after cosmetic eyelid surgery.
- If the eyes and condition of the eyelids make you look older and it may be due to excess skin, fat and muscle that the eyelid skin is unable to support. However if the puffy look is caused by an underlying infection or allergy then Dr. Pasquale may suggest getting an opinion of an eye specialist.
- A good candidate for eyelid surgery may be a man or a woman of any culture. Also, age of the candidate will not matter as very young Asians have double eyelid surgery for example. Of course there should not be any serious illness that could hamper the cosmetic eyelid surgery or its effects.
If you are considering cosmetic eyelid surgery you will definitely want to have a consultation with Dr. Pasquale to explore your options. His experience and easy style will make you comfortable and you will see the difference when you walk into our Honolulu Hawaii clinic to be evaluated for cosmetic eyelid surgery.
Call us today as your first step for cosmetic eyelid surgery.
- Authored by: Michael Pasquale