Call for a Consultation
677 Ala Moana Blvd. Suite 404
Honolulu Hawaii 96813
If an eyelash going into one’s eye for a few seconds can create discomfort and irritation; it is well imaginable how uncomfortable an eyelid cyst can be. The eyes are perhaps one of the most sensitive areas of the human body and even the most minor irritation to it can be distracting. An eyelid cyst may be both painful and awkward. It is important to understand the cause of the eyelid cyst before understanding the course of action that may be required to be followed.
Different types of eyelid cysts:
• A sty or abscess at the oil gland is one of the most common types of eyelid cysts. The infection causes the eyelid cyst to become red, swollen and tender. A sty usually lasts between 24-72 hours and drain away naturally. An eyelid cyst that persists longer than this period is probably not a sty and needs to be attended to immediately. The treatment for a sty would depend on the severity of infection. While a mild case can be treated with hot compressions and cleansing. A severe case would require a course of antibiotics to take care of the infection.
• Chalazions: A meibomian cyst or chalazion is a lump on the eyelid that is caused due to debris left after an infection. It may or may not be painful and may disappear in 8-16 weeks. Surgery is suggested to remove the eyelid cyst if it persists beyond this period. Proper cleansing of the eyes and eyelids is suggested to avoid chalazions.
• Sweat gland cysts are common and appear as round, shiny and transparent lumps near the tear ducts. Removal of this eyelid cyst is simple.
• Keratosis is a combination of keratin and tissue that may be found in various forms. Removal of these eyelid cysts is straight forward and would rule out any chance of malignancy.
• A white painless swelling on the eyelid may be an inclusion cyst; and while it may be harmless an examination nonetheless needs to be carried out.
• Nevus is a flesh colored growth in the eyelid.
• Other eyelid cysts may include skin tags, warts, etc. An eyelid cyst needs to be examined well and removed if necessary not only for the pain and infection it may cause but also to ensure that it doesn’t mar the individual’s appearance.
The options that cosmetic and plastic surgery provide are many and are available in our clinic at Honolulu, Hawaii.
Eyelid surgery and laser skin resurfacing are amongst the options that one may want to consider. Laser skin resurfacing is found to be particularly effective with skin tags leaving the eyelid skin looking rejuvenated. It is important that you choose a good and experienced surgeon when you are considering having eyelid surgery done as this would bring down the risk of complications tremendously. Eyelid surgery can also be combined with other procedures such as a brow lift and a face lift.
- Authored by: Michael A. Pasquale