Deflation of Saline Breast Implants
Normally a woman will know when she has a deflation by the obvious change in size of the breast. This can happen quickly or over a length of time depending on how the rupture is caused. The reason for rupture will also determine wether or not the implant is covered under its lifetime warranty. The best way to determine if a breast implant rupture has indeed occurred is to see your plastic surgeon.
There is no reason for alarm if you have a breast implant deflation with saline implants or the newer FDA approved cohesive gel style implants from either Mentor or Allergan. These implants will cause no harm to your body although you should see your surgeon immediatetly to ensure that you do not have an infection or other complication. Also it is important that you remove the deflated implant as soon as possible to keep your breast pocket from closing up. If you wait too long to remove and replace the implant the breast pocket will contract around the deflated implant which means when the new implant is placed your pocket will need to be opened up again to allow for the larger filled implant which can increase surgical costs and / or pain and discomfort after the surgery.
Dr. Pasquale ensures that his patients understand the procedure and the associated risks. Deflation of saline breast implants is one such risk. It is important for clients to understand that the implant will probably not last forever.
Deflation of saline breast implants may be caused by a variety of reasons including:
- Normal aging of the implant.
- Improper and excessive handling of the implants during surgery.
- Under filling of saline-filled breast implants
- Damage caused by surgical instruments.
- Damage caused to the implants during procedures to the breast, such as biopsies and fluid drainage.
- Compression during a mammogram.
- Stresses such as trauma or intense physical pressure.
- Capsular contracture
- Placement through a belly button (umbilical) incision site because it involves too much handling of the implant.
- Deflation of saline breast implant may occur from a damaged or unsealed valve or from a break in the shell. The deflation may or may not be detected easily depending on the leakage. If the leakage is fast the condition may be noticeable within a day as the appearance of the breast changes. The rate of deflation of saline breast implants has gone down with advances in technology.
Effects of Deflation of Saline Breast Implants
Saline breast implants are basically silicone shells with saline solution. The salt solution is quite like that which occurs naturally in the human body and thus is absorbed by it harmlessly. The deflated saline breast implant would be required to be removed and replaced. It is vital that you contact your surgeon as soon as you realize that there is deflation of saline breast implant in order to avoid any chance of infection or further complication.
- Authored by: Michael Pasquale